The Institute of Nuclear Materials Management was formed in 1958 to encourage:
- The advancement of nuclear materials management in all its aspects.
- The promotion of research in the field of nuclear materials management.
- The establishment of standards, consistent with existing professional norms.
- The improvement of the qualifications of those engaged in nuclear materials management and safeguards through high standards of professional ethics, education, and attainments, and the recognition of those who meet such standards.
- The increase and dissemination of information through meetings, professional contacts, reports, papers, discussions, and publications.