- Organization: SGIS-Application Maintenance Team
- Primary Location: Austria-Vienna-Vienna-IAEA Headquarters
- Job Posting: 2019-01-08, 6:43:06 PM
- Closing Date: 2019-02-12, 11:59:00 PM
- Duration in Months: 36
- Contract Type: Fixed Term - Regular
- Probation Period: 1 Year
The Department of Safeguards (SG) is the organizational hub for the implementation of IAEA safeguards. The IAEA implements nuclear verification activities for some 180 States in accordance with their safeguards agreements. The safeguards activities are undertaken within a dynamic and technically challenging environment including advanced nuclear fuel cycle facilities and complemented by the political diversity of the countries.
The Department of Safeguards consists of six Divisions: three Operations Divisions: A, B and C, for the implementation of verification activities around the world; three Technical Divisions: Division of Concepts and Planning, Division of Information Management, and Division of Technical and Scientific Services; as well as three Offices: the Office for Verification in Iran, the Office of Safeguards Analytical Services and the Office of Information and Communication Services.
The main objective of the Department is to maintain and further develop an effective and efficient verification system in order to draw independent, impartial and timely safeguards conclusions, thus providing credible assurances to the international community that States are in compliance with their safeguards obligations. The departmental operating environment is interactive, participative and dynamic with continuous inputs received from the Board of Governors, the General Conference, policy- and decision-makers, as well as counterparts in Member States and in the international development community.
The Development Section provides ICT services to the Department of Safeguards and Member States, working cooperatively with staff in the Operations Divisions and the Technical Divisions to plan, establish and maintain information systems. The Section specializes in providing system analysis, software design, and implementation and maintenance services. The Section follows and implements best practices in the areas of software engineering, project management and quality management and continuously monitors the Department's information related needs so that they can be met through requests for new or enhanced ICT solutions.
Under the general supervision of the Head of the Development Section, and reporting to the Team Leader for the Application Maintenance Team, the Senior System Security Specialist provides specialized leadership and guidance to Member States and the Department of Safeguards to reduce security vulnerabilities by designing and applying effective security controls in Safeguards products. In particular, the Senior System Security Specialist lead a team responsible for security controls, such as the Safeguards identity and authorization systems, which are used directly or indirectly to protect classified or higher information
The Senior System Security Specialist is: (1) an innovator, developing new strategies and policies to secure our IT products; (2) a leader, leading a team to coordinate with Member States and the Department of Safeguards to establish and unify security controls across all software, systems and networks; (3) an expert for IT identity and access management systems; (4) a senior software and infrastructure engineer, specifying, designing and ensuring correct implementation
Functions / Key Results Expected
• Lead a team responsible for the design and development of innovative solutions which ensure that security risks are reduced across all software products and services
• Provide specialized advice in information security to mitigate breaches and develop new policies, strategies, and solutions to reduce security vulnerabilities
• Advocate and champion our security policies, procedures, and tools through clear communication initiatives and strategies
• Develops risk measurement criteria consistent with the Department’s mission, which will enable the organization to determine where to effectively apply security controls
• Evaluate new IT technical architectures based on that risk measurement criteria
• Provide advice and expertise in all aspects of application security to ensure standards compliance
• Build partnerships with Member States and various development teams to obtain consensus and to find appropriate solutions on information security initiatives.
• Perform all other related duties as assigned.