- Organization: SG-Section for Safeguards Programme Coordination
- Primary Location: Austria-Vienna-Vienna-IAEA Headquarters
- Job Posting: 2018-06-12, 5:01:20 PM
- Closing Date: 2018-07-24, 11:59:00 PM
- Duration in Months: 36
- Contract Type: Fixed Term - Regular
- Probation Period: 1 Year
The Department of Safeguards (SG) is the organizational hub for the implementation of IAEA safeguards. The IAEA implements nuclear verification activities for some 180 States in accordance with their safeguards agreements. The safeguards activities are undertaken within a dynamic and technically challenging environment including advanced nuclear fuel cycle facilities and complemented by the political diversity of the countries.
The Department of Safeguards consists of six Divisions: three Operations Divisions: A, B and C, for the implementation of verification activities around the world; three Technical Divisions: Division of Concepts and Planning, Division of Information Management, and Division of Technical and Scientific Services; as well as two Offices: the Office of Safeguards Analytical Services and the Office of Information and Communication Services.
The main objective of the Department is to maintain and further develop an effective and efficient verification system in order to draw independent, impartial and timely safeguards conclusions, thus providing credible assurances to the international community that States are in compliance with their safeguards obligations. The departmental operating environment is interactive, participative and dynamic with continuous inputs received from the Board of Governors, the General Conference, policy- and decision-makers, as well as counterparts in Member States and in the international development community.
Within the Office of the Deputy Director General, Head of the Department of Safeguards, the Section for Safeguards Programme Coordination serves as the principal advisory body in support of the entire management of the Department including formulation and execution of departmental management policies and procedures. The Section provides internal coordination and support in the areas of programme and budget, human resources, performance monitoring, effectiveness evaluation, communication, reporting and project support.
The Safeguards Officer supports DDG-SG with regard to developing strategies and policies to increase coordination on safeguards implementation practices; he/she helps implement performance monitoring in the Department; he/she liaises with senior staff in the Department, within the Secretariat and with Member States to ensure the effective and efficient application of safeguards on a non-discriminatory basis.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Section Head, the Safeguards Officer is: (1) a management officer, providing analysis and background information to the SH-SPC on the formulation of safeguards strategy and policy, facilitating their implementation and staying aware of projects and work related to safeguards involving other Agency staff and experts from Member States; (2) a facilitator, providing timely, accurate, and efficient support to facilitate the approval of relevant documents by the DDG, the IAEA Policy-Making Organs and key advisory bodies and contributing to cross cutting activities with other IAEA Departments.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Participate in the Departmental review process for safeguards related policies, approaches, procedures, with the view of supporting DDG with regard to document approval; ensure that documents submitted to DDG for approval meet the highest quality standard.
- Participate in analysing practices of safeguards implementation and provide analyses notes considering practical problems of safeguards implementation.
- Contribute to the implementation of Departmental performance monitoring,
- Coordinate Department's responses to requests made by the Office of the Director General.
- Contribute, as deemed necessary, to the preparation of documents for the Board of Governors and the General Conference. Contribute/prepare briefing notes for DDG and DG as required.
- Support DDG's participation in DG's meetings and other meetings inside and outside the IAEA (suggesting/preparing DDG's key notes, talking points) and coordinate with the Communication Advisor.
- Contribute to policy coordination with the Policy-Making Organs, the Office of External Relations and Policy Coordination and the Office of Legal Affairs in matters related to safeguards implementation. Participate in the implementation of cross-cutting Major Programme 4 activities among the implementing organizational units inside and outside the Department.
- Participate in the Departmental technical Safeguards committees and sub-committees as requested. Represent the Department in internal IAEA meetings, working groups and other assignments as required.