The course is a prerequisite for internships. Internships are only available to US citizens.
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), in support of the US Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration’s Next Generation Safeguards Initiative, are pleased to announce the availability of up to six paid summer internships at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California.
Eligible students for this outstanding, competitive internship opportunity should demonstrate an interest in:
- Pursuing a professional career in nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear safeguards
- Acquiring practical experience on nuclear nonproliferation, safeguards and security policy issues as they are addressed at US national laboratories
- Contributing to the capability of the national laboratories to perform and complete tasks and analyses related to nuclear safeguards
Dates and Duration
Ten-week internships will be scheduled during the period from June 11 to August 17, 2018.
Interns will be provided with a $6,000 stipend paid in two monthly installments to cover basic expenses (e.g. accommodation, meals, and incidentals).
Duties and Opportunities
- Draft and present an original research paper on an international safeguards policy topic
- Receive individual mentoring by LLNL staff
- Have the chance to interact with LLNL staff working in various technical fields related to international safeguards and nonproliferation
- Participate in regular video teleconferences with interns and professionals from other sites within the DOE laboratory complex to continue furthering their education in international safeguards policies, procedures, and technologies.