- Organization: SG-Section OVI2
- Primary Location: Austria-Vienna-Vienna-IAEA Headquarters
- Job Posting: 2018-02-28, 4:50:09 PM
- Closing Date: 2018-04-11, 10:59:00 PM
- Duration in Months: 36
- Contract Type: Fixed Term - Extrabudgetary
- Probation Period: 1 Year
The Department of Safeguards (SG) is the organizational hub for the implementation of IAEA safeguards. The IAEA implements nuclear verification activities for some 180 States in accordance with their safeguards agreements. The safeguards activities are undertaken within a dynamic and technically challenging environment including advanced nuclear fuel cycle facilities and complemented by the political diversity of the countries.
The Department of Safeguards consists of six Divisions: three Operations Divisions: A, B and C, for the implementation of verification activities around the world; three Technical Divisions: Division of Concepts and Planning, Division of Information Management, and Division of Technical and Scientific Services; as well as three Offices: the Office for Verification in Iran, the Office of Safeguards Analytical Services and the Office of Information and Communication Services.
The primary focus of the Office for Verification in Iran is to perform and document safeguards verification activities and to conduct analysis and evaluations aimed at providing assurances that a State is complying with their nuclear safeguards commitments. The Office implements a broad range of measures, including information analysis and in-field verification, to draw soundly based safeguards conclusions. In addition, the Office is responsible for implementing verification and monitoring activities of the Iran nuclear related commitment set out in the Joint Comprehensive Plans of Action.
Reporting to the Section Head, the Safeguards Technology Expert (Open Source) collects, analyses and reports on information related to Nuclear Fuel Cycle including sensitive science and technology to deepen the IAEA's understanding of nuclear proliferation including issues related to both indigenous R&D and technology transfer and trading. He/she participates in the development of the Collaborative Analysis Platform (CAP).
The Safeguards Technology Expert (Open Source) is (1) a specialist contributing to development of analytical methodologies and applying analytical techniques; (2) a contributor of information analysis for the preparation and review of all relevant documents in support of the State evaluation reports; (3) an adviser to Office (SGVI) staff on consultations and investigations arising from ad hoc requests generated from headquarters and in the field; and (4) a liaison, as appropriate, with representatives of other safeguards divisions and other IAEA departments and Member States on issues of his/her expertise.
Functions / Key Results Expected
The Safeguards Technology Expert (Open Source) in close cooperation with Office staff members and other divisions in the Department:
• Creates analytical products to support a robust implementation of safeguards and verification and monitoring of Iran’s nuclear related commitments under the JCPOA.
• Carries out analysis of open source information including technical publications to answer questions relevant to safeguards or JCPOA.
• Discuss with Office staff on questions raised during field activities or analysis of safeguards data and seek answers using information analysis tools.
• Review the analytical reports of other SGVI Safeguards Technology Experts/inspectors and collaborate with them in collecting and analysing information.
• Present and explain advanced analysis, including Palantir investigations, to Office staff and the management.
• Participates in the Departmental initiative related to Palantir and the wider Collaborative Analysis Platform (CAP) concept.
• Identifies and assists with the integration of new datasets relevant to the Department of Safeguard’s activities into the State File.
• Develops analytical workflows and resultant products for use within both SGVI and the Department of Safeguards.