Organization: SG-Section OVI1
Primary Location: Austria-Vienna-Vienna-IAEA Headquarters
Job Posting: 2017-05-25, 10:49:03 AM
Closing Date: 2017-06-24, 11:59:00 PM
Duration in Months: 36
Contract Type: Fixed Term - Regular
Probation Period: 1 Year
The Department of Safeguards (SG) is the organizational hub for the implementation of IAEA safeguards. The IAEA implements nuclear verification activities for some 180 States in accordance with their safeguards agreements. The safeguards activities are undertaken within a dynamic and technically challenging environment including advanced nuclear fuel cycle facilities and complemented by the political diversity of the countries.
The Department of Safeguards consists of six Divisions: three Operations Divisions: A, B and C, for the implementation of verification activities around the world; three Technical Divisions: Division of Concepts and Planning, Division of Information Management, and Division of Technical and Scientific Services; as well as three Offices: the Office for Verification in Iran, the Office of Safeguards Analytical Services and the Office of Information and Communication Services.
The primary focus of the Office for Verification in Iran is to perform and document safeguards verification activities and to conduct analysis and evaluations aimed at providing assurances that a State is complying with their nuclear safeguards commitments. The Office implements a broad range of measures, including information analysis and in-field verification, to draw soundly based safeguards conclusions. In addition, the Office is responsible for implementing verification and monitoring activities of the Iran nuclear related commitment set out in the Joint Comprehensive Plans of Action.
Reporting to the Section Head, the Safeguards Technology Expert leverages his/her understanding of the various aspects of sensitive science and technology related to their area of expertise to deepen the IAEA's understanding of nuclear proliferation concerns related to both indigenous R&D and technology transfer and trading. He/she provides expertise in their field, evaluates related information and advises on verification of nuclear proliferation issues related to his/her expertise.
The Safeguards Technology Expert is (1) a specialist with knowledge of a specific field within the area of nuclear sciences and technology; (2) a contributor in the preparation and review of State evaluation reports as a technical expert; (3) an adviser to senior levels for consultations and investigations arising from ad hoc requests generated from headquarters and in-field; and (4) a liaison, as appropriate, with representatives of other safeguards divisions and other IAEA departments and Member States on issues of his/her expertise.
Functions / Key Results Expected
The Safeguards Technology Expert:
- Provides technical evaluation of State evaluation documents and in departmental working groups, preparing technical reports and advising on technology issues, as required.
- Provides technical information and support for safeguards inspections, training, process development, equipment needs and information management.
- Provides information for other Safeguards staff with respect to verification activities and to improve awareness of proliferation concerns.
- Supports the development of evaluation methodologies related to the early detection of the possible misuse of nuclear material or technology through undeclared nuclear activities or related trade and activities of sensitive nuclear technology.
- Reviews and evaluates the work with technical consultants on specific analytical and development projects.
- Plans, implements and reports on verification activities at headquarters and in the field, when appropriate, providing technical evaluations of State-level safeguards approaches and measures in terms of their effectiveness.
- Provides authoritative technical expertise and advice concerning nuclear proliferation issues and investigations on sensitive sciences and technology related to nuclear weapons research and development.