- Organization: OLA-Nuclear and Treaty Law Section
- Primary Location: Austria-Vienna-Vienna-IAEA Headquarters
- Job Posting: 2017-04-07, 4:43:12 PM
- Closing Date: 2017-05-22, 11:59:00 PM
- Duration in Months: 36
- Contract Type: Fixed Term - Regular
- Probation Period: 1 Year
The Office of Legal Affairs, which reports directly to the Director General, provides legal services of the highest possible standards to the Director General, the Secretariat and to the organs and bodies of the IAEA, as well as to Member States, regarding the implementation of the IAEA's activities.
The Nuclear and Treaty Law Section provides legal advice and support to the Office of the Director General and the Secretariat in the areas of nuclear safety and security (including civil liability for nuclear damage), nuclear energy, nuclear applications and technical cooperation. It is also responsible for the IAEA's depositary function as well as the IAEA's legislative assistance programme, providing advice and training regarding legislative frameworks governing the safe and peaceful uses of nuclear energy to Member States.
Under the guidance of the Section Head, the Legal Officer assists the Section Head and other officers in the Section in preparing legal instruments and documents and provides legal advice on the application or interpretation of such documents.
The Legal Officer is (1) a specialist, providing high quality professional inputs to the legal support provided by the Nuclear and Treaty Law Section and (2) an advisor on the application and interpretation of international legal instruments governing the safe and peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
Functions / Key Results Expected
• Reviews and prepares documents related to the development and application of legal instruments, in particular in the areas of nuclear safety, security and nuclear liability.
• Reviews Member States' national nuclear laws within the IAEA's legislative assistance programme.
• Conducts studies on international and nuclear law.
• Assumes other duties as determined by the Section Head and Senior Legal Officer in the Section.